Thursday, July 23, 2009

If they could see what I see...

This past Tuesday, I spent the morning in court listening to child abuse and neglect cases. One of the groups that I work with is a CASA chapter (Court Appointed Special Advocates). A CASA volunteer acts as an advocate for the child as they maneuver through the court system. These kids need as many people as possible to stand up for them.

As I sat through case after case, I kept thinking that if everyone had this same experience, they would become a huge supporter of CASA. How could you not be moved by the plight of these children? If everyone could see what I am seeing, every child in the court system would have a CASA volunteer.

Later that day, I went to SOAR Youth Ministries in the Lonsdale community. I love this place. It feels so inviting and fun. There is always some activity going on- kids dancing, laughing and chatting up a storm. I caught myself thinking the same thing: if we could get everyone in the door, they would fall in these kids and support this great organization.

It may not be possible to get everyone into a courtroom or a community center, but you can take these stories and experiences out to everyone. Although it may not have the same impact, invoking an emotional response from current and potential donors is a sure way to increase their connection to your organization.

Telling stories in your newsletter, posting video on your website, including photos in your mailings and sharing powerful testimonials are ways to get potential donors to see what you see.

No comments: