Thursday, August 20, 2009

Excellent Customer Service for Nonprofits

I wanted to publish an online newsletter. In order to save money, I decided to use a free online marketing service. I started this process in May. After three long, frustrating months, I decided to bite the bullet and use a paid online marketing service. Boy, am I glad I did.

What does this have to do with customer service? Well, not two hours after I signed up for the free trial, I received a phone call from an account representative thanking me for choosing them and asking if I had any questions. He also emailed me all of his contact information. I was so stunned to hear from him that I rambled on about how much I love their service and how much easier it was to use than the free service. I hung up the phone feeling so impressed and thrilled about my decision, even though I have to pay (and I am a cheapskate).

Now, how can nonprofit organizations use this example to improve "customer" service.

Imagine how special a donor would feel if they received a call simply thanking them for their support.

I used to call every donor that contributed $100 or more to my organization. I usually got an answering machine, but, on occasion, I would talk to the donor. What a joy it was to hear their surprise and gratitude for my taking the time to personally thank them. I would also gain valuable information, like why they support the organization and how they heard about us (if they are a new donor). I had a chance to learn more about their personal history, like if they have children, where they live or work and what they like to do. I kept track of all of this information and made sure to incorporate those details in the written thank-you note or in future conversations.

Imagine how impressed a donor would be to receive an immediate response from your organization.

The golden rule of donations is to "thank before you bank." I made it a goal to send than-you notes within 24 hours of receiving a gift. That wasn't always easy, but I made it a priority. There really is nothing more frustrating for a donor than to wonder if the check has been received, or, even worse, if their hard-earned gift was needed or appreciated. Now, imagine how special your donor will feel to get a thank-you letter with a special, personalized note on it. That is great customer service.

This goes for phone calls, as well. When a donor takes the time to call you with a question, suggestion, observation or complaint, they want to be a part of your organization. Not returning a call or waiting days to respond shows them they are not that important to you. And neither is their money.

Imagine how honored a donor would feel to be a part of your accomplishments and successes.

Think about how many times a year you talk to your donors and what you are saying to them. Do you only contact them to ask for money? Are your newsletters full of fluff, wants and needs? Is each contact impersonal and generic? How do you think that makes your donors feel?

Let them in and give them a sense of pride in what you have accomplished. Let them know how their donation made a difference for the organization and the community. Give them an inside scoop as to what is going on in your organization.

I remember an organization I had donated to for many years, and even volunteered with often, launched a huge new program that received lots of media attention. I had friends ask me about it because they knew how much I loved this organization. I felt somewhat disappointed that I wasn't aware of the big news and frustrated that everyone else was learning about the program at the same time.

Silly? Maybe. But imagine how special I would have felt to get a quick email outlining the new program and asking to join in the celebration of the launch. I could have forwarded the email to my friends asking them to donate money to support the program or made sure my media contacts were on the lookout for the big news. Instead, I felt left in the cold and unimportant.

How much of a role does great customer service play in your organization? By imagining how your donors feel and finding simple ways to make them feel special, you can strengthen your connection with current and potential donors and maybe even create ambassadors for your cause.

No comments: