Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why blog titles matter (hint: your headlines stink)

After posting an article on blogger outreach, I decided to revamp my blog campaign to include more bloggers in a wider range of topics. In order to discover new blog sites, I headed over to Technorati and Alltop.

Here is what I noticed: I only selected blogs that had interested titles for their last two or three posts. The blog could be exactly what I am looking for, but if the titles of their last few posts were irrelevant or boring, I didn't bother to add them to my list.

Take-away message:

(1) Make each and every blog post interesting and put some effort into the headline.

(2) Include relevant keywords in your blog post title. If you cover real estate, but never include real estate words or phrases in your headings, then you might get past right over.

(3) Blog often so people want to come back to your site.

(4) Give people something to debate (aka everyone loves a good argument). Ask questions or issue challenges, anything to encourage folks to comment on your post.

Remember, blogging is a powerful tool for your business and it must be treated as a primary communications tool, not an afterthought or like a trip to the dentist.

No comments: