Thursday, May 6, 2010

Should you foursquare?
















I have to admit I've been slow to jump on the foursquare bandwagon. Maybe it's the gypsy in me, but I don't want everyone to know where I am every second of the day.

It seems I may be the only one left not on board the foursquare ship. So, I thought I would do some research and see what the buzz is all about.

From foursquare.com:


Foursquare aims to encourage people to explore their neighborhoods and then reward people for doing so. We do this by combining our friend-finder and social city guide elements with game mechanics — our users earn points, win Mayorships and unlock badges for trying new places and revisiting old favorites.
As a business owner, you can use foursquare to engage your increasingly mobile customers with foursquare "Specials," which are discounts and prizes you can offer your loyal customers when they check in on foursquare at your venue. Don't forget to show extra love to your venue's Mayor! Additionally, if you offer foursquare Specials to your customers, you will be able to track how your venue is performing over time thanks to our robust set of venue analytics — for free!

Okay, I'm intrigued. I can see tons of opportunities and possibilities for brick-and-mortar businesses and even festivals and special events, pretty much any place that welcomes visitors. 

I'm going to play around with foursquare and do some more research and report back. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, does your business foursquare? Any advice or tips you want to share?

4 comments:

Linda Pucci, PhD said...

This sounds very interesting. For now I'm content to sit back and let you explore it FOR me, Kristina. I'll watch carefully to see if this is a worthwhile venue for me. I can see that I COULD spend all my time on line, so I want to choose carefully where (and on what) I spend my time.

Unknown said...

You are so right. There is so much out there that it is hard not to get sucked into the abyss and spend all day accomplishing nothing.

Linda Pucci, PhD said...

That's why I depend on you to help separate the "wheat" in social media from the "chaff".

Anonymous said...

Leave it to you to be on the cutting edge of checking things out. I'll be interested to see the ideas you come up with, thanks for tracking it and keeping us informed.
Sue Painter