Monday, March 8, 2010

Five lessons for your business from a fearless kitten



I recently adopted a little calico kitten after years of swearing I would never have another terror with claws again.  All it took was one photo from my sister and the deal was sealed.  Look at her.  Isn't she adorable?

Since I work from home, I have spent the last several days knocking Callie off my keyboard.  She has managed to find shortcuts I never could and in one pounce, she can open iTunes and stream my favorite radio station, WDVX (good kitty).

As I chase Callie around the house, I began to think about how I could run my business more like a kitten.  Hear me out.

1. She is fearless.  I've seen her swat the big cat as he walks by, just because she wants to play.  He is not amused by her, but still, she chases him around and basically annoys the daylights out of him.

2. She takes calculated risks.  I've seen her sit on a chair and analyze the jump to the kitchen island, a good three feet away.  She studies the distance and height, then goes for it.  She didn't make it the first couple of times, but now I can't keep her off the counter.

3. She is persistent.  No matter how many times I say "no" or spray her with the water bottle, if she wants something, nothing stands in her way- not even my legs (she is a climber:).

4. She has fun.  There is nothing in this house she won't play with- a glove, a sock, a straw, a spoon, my toes. Interestingly, her idea of having fun also teaches her about surviving as a cat, things like pouncing, stalking, biting and clawing.  Fun and educational. Hmmm.

5. She knows when to slow down and take a cat nap.  She takes time to recharge, even if it is for just a few minutes.

I'm sure there are other lessons to learn, but the stinker has managed to knock something off the kitchen counter.  I better check that out.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Okay, I've thought of some more lessons.

6. She doesn't take NO for an answer.

7. She has a ferocious appetite. As entrepreneurs and business owners, we should be inhaling as much information as possible.

8. She knows how to make friends quickly.

9. She knows when to fight and when to back down.

10. She lets the world know what she wants and she doesn't stop until she gets it. Meow!