Thursday, March 11, 2010

Getting Personal: My Core Values

I talk a lot about core values being the fabric of your business story.  I'd like to share with you my values and how discovering my true beliefs changed my business.

My five core values are: Freedom, Abundance, Fun, Authenticity, Creativity.

Freedom
Freedom shows up for me in every aspect of my life, including my business.  I wanted my own company for many reasons, but mainly it was to have the freedom and opportunity to do things my way, be my own boss, set my own hours and conquer my own fears.

I chose to work with small business owners and entrepreneurs because I want them to be free to be themselves; to realize their amazing talent and share their unique story with the world.  I want them to have the tools they need to market their business, set themselves apart from the competition and succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

I am also a huge supporter of refugee organizations and am looking forward to one day travel to Africa to work with refugees.  If anyone on Earth needs to feel the joy of freedom, it is the millions of refugees facing uncertain futures right this minute.

Abundance
This is a tough one for me for many reasons.  I have to stop myself from saying I don't have enough money or I don't have time or I have no energy.

I don't know if it is a nonprofit thing or the economic situation or what, but I have met several people lately that scream scarcity.  Everything they say is based on lack of something- money, donors, volunteers, ...  

I truly believe thinking abundantly, especially as an entrepreneur, is the key to success.  Therefore, I have lots of time, money and energy:)

Fun
This is the value I felt guilty about the most.  My mind says I should have selected family or relationships or gratitude or love.  But I didn't.  I chose fun.  

This has helped me change the way I approach my business by not being so serious and stuffy.  My writing went from very professional to much more laid back and personal- from sounding like a large firm or corporation to a caring, positive partner for entrepreneurs and business owners.  I added personality into my writing and open up a lot more than I ever would have before.

Authenticity
This value is so important to me I named my company after it.  I have spent way too many years being who I was supposed to be, saying what I thought others wanted me to say and doing the right things for everyone else.  Now, I finally get to be me.  And it feels good.  And I love it.  It's freeing and fun. 

Creativity
I spent the first three years of college as an engineering student because I was good in math and loved chemistry.  I struggled, not because I didn't understand it, but because I was bored to death.  I wanted to solve problems my own way.  I wanted to try new things and think outside the box.  There's not much of that in engineering, probably for good reason.  I love writing, reading, photography, painting and anything else creative, especially telling a story.

Creativity in my business is not exactly where I want it to be, but I'm working on it.  New logo and website are on the agenda.  Little bit at a time, that's what I have to remind myself.

So, you know a lot more about me than I know about you.  What are your values?  How are they showing up in your business?  Where are they missing in your business?  I'd love to learn all about you.

No comments: