Monday, March 22, 2010

Visualizing your ideal client

It's no secret I am a huge hockey fan. It is really the only sport I am fanatic about, so it is pretty rare I pull out sports analogies to make a point. So, here I go.

In hockey, or any other sport, athletes are trained to imagine the outcome, visualize what they intend- the puck going into the net, the bat striking the ball that then soars over the back fence, the perfect back flip with a solid landing.  How can entrepreneurs use that technique to take their business to the next level?

First, think about what you want your clients to say about you. Write your dream testimonial. It could go something like this:

Kristina Shands and Authentic Communications are a dream to work with. By developing my own unique business story and using that story to set myself apart from my competition, I was able to double my client base and establish myself as a leader in my field- even as I stayed true to my values and beliefs. My ideal clients now find me- as if by magic. Thanks so much for making this whole process fun and enlightening. I hope everyone discovers and embraces their own unique talents."
Working with the end in mind, you can see what you need to provide your clients in order to get your dream testimonial.

You can even visualize your ideal client, right down to the types of shoes they wear or the music they listen to.  Here is a description of my perfect client:

My ideal client is creative, positive, living their dream and passion, willing to take risks, match my values, laid-back, personable, fun, wearing jeans and t-shirt or nice shirt- not a suit and tie, earthy, progressive, music lovers (Americana, Folk, non-pop/rock/country) non-traditional careers/industries, off the beaten path, unique, inspiring, intelligent, positive, fun, calming, relaxed energy, don’t fit in the square hole, like thinking out of the box.
See how being really clear about what you want to achieve and with whom you want to work with can help guide your decision and prioritize your actions?

Just as an athlete bases his or her training on their final goals, you can do the same for your business.







No comments: