Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rachael Ray has a story

Whenever I talk to a small business owner or an entrepreneur about their business story, I get this glazed look or a long list of specific services they offer.  I have a few examples I use to get my point across, but not very effectively.  So, I have been looking for another example on the importance of having a unique story that describes who you are and what you do.

I think I have found it.

I was watching Food Network this morning and "30-Minute Meals with Rachael Ray" came on.  Bingo!

Her show opener is perfect.

"Hi, I'm Rachael Ray and I make 30-minute meals.  That means, in the time it takes you to watch this show, I will have made a delicious and healthy meal from start to finish."

CHALLENGE: Can you come up with a show opener for your business?  You've got 10 seconds.  Go!

Everything about Rachael Ray tells a consistent story.  She is down-to-Earth, showcases simple meals that anyone can cook and most of her recipes are affordable.  She targets busy moms who want to provide healthy meals to their family while impressing her friends.  Even her language, mannerisms and personality are all true to her story.  She doesn't pretend to be a great culinary master because that's not who she is.  She is fun, unpretentious, practical and relatable; values that also show up in her magazine and talk show.

Can you imagine Martha Stewart doing a show like "30-Minute Meals"?  Nope, because that's not the story she has created for herself or her company.

Being true to who you are and weaving that into your business story is how you become relatable and connected to your ideal clients.  It's your authentic self that clients are drawn to, not necessarily specifics of your services.

No comments: