Monday, October 11, 2010

Storytelling with social media

If you are treating social media as an afterthought or a never thought, then you are missing a huge opportunity to reach out to your ideal clients and share your message.

But how in the world do you tell your business story in 140 characters?

You don't. It's not about just one tweet or one Facebook post. It is about a strategic plan that integrates your business story into your marketing plan - a plan that incorporates social media - to reach your clients and achieve your goals.

Treat your social media tools as a vehicle to spread your story, showcase your clients and educate others on the solutions you offer.

The best way to do this is to plan your tweets, posts and comments and make sure you clearly express your key messages and talking points.

Just remember social media is a two-way street. Offer your followers and fans a chance to interact with you and provide precious feedback.

Most importantly, make sure you are telling your story, not selling your story. At least 80 percent of what you offer on social media sites should be content, with 20 percent or less sales and promotions. Nobody wants to follow an infomercial.

Add personality to your posts and value to your tweets and watch your story spread across the social universe.

8 comments:

Linda Pucci, PhD said...

After hearing for the past few years how important it was for businesses to be visible on social media, I finally understand that it is all about being strategic about your posts. You are giving people a window into your business, so that they can begin to get to know you and what you can offer. I really like the idea of using social media tools as a vehicle to spread my story. Every time I read your blog or newsletter, Kristina, another piece falls onto place in the puzzle that has been social media.

Julie Hawkins said...

OMG, I have to plan? Thanks Kristina, it reminds me that I really want more consistency and to do that I think I have to plan.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for putting our efforts with social media in the light of Storytelling. Now that I can identify with!

Unknown said...

Key is always to have content and be consistent.....a lot of people give after a short time. Great post...

Sue Painter said...

I sometimes think that no one has as of yet hit upon the exact best way to "do" social media. It's an endless fascination to me, I love to participate and watch the "stream."
Sue P.

Santoshamo said...

I really appreciate the story-telling aspect to this...I want to hear more. I also really appreciate your 80/20 point!

Sandy Rees said...

Thanks for the great info Kristina!

I think my clients get tired of hearing me say "social media is a tool. Use it like you would any other tool."

Sandy

creativelyfit said...

The importance of story is everywhere. I hope your post encourages people to write, journal, meditate on their story and how it is connected to their purpose. So great! Thank you.